I need some help please!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rick Styles

Male Number of posts : 209
Club Residency : theradio.com/idanceradio.fm
Registration date : 2007-05-27

PostSubject: I need some help please!!   October 31st 2007, 9:38 pm

So, I have cooledit pro and Sound Forge. How can I find and change the bpm?
The other idea i had was to use 2 computers, and play thru a headphone jack, and record thru a mic jack.
I do need to hear the tracks to que them though..

Any Ideas?

Thanks for the help,
-RIck
Back to top Go down
dj dream

Male Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2007-05-26

PostSubject: Re: I need some help please!!   November 1st 2007, 4:49 am

personally,i think your gonna struggle to do what you want with those 2 progs.it can be done,but trust me,its a pain.and you have to be really good at math.which im not!ive found the best way to find a bpm of say an acapella is to put the acc in cubase and run the click track and match up the speed as if you were beat mixing.a good tip here is to pick a prominent point in the acc,say,a chorus,and take it from there.when you have the exact bpm,transfer the wave of the acc into a program called "time factory",and stretch accordingly...that way you are not changing the pitch of the acc and it will make it easier to use in a mash up for instance.
from there,you can put your timestretched acc into sound forge and change the pitch,and keep the new bpm too.which is pretty handy as long as you dont push it too far.2 semitones either way is about as far as you can go.
hope that helps...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/remadee2008
BeePM
MixMaster
MixMaster

Male Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: I need some help please!!   November 1st 2007, 11:42 am

It can be done in SF fairly easily. You need to use the "Acid" tool bar. I'm not in front of my DAW at the moment, but i will draw you up a tutorial later

MixMaster

Male Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: I need some help please!!   November 1st 2007, 3:42 pm

I'm using SF version 7. something, I don't believe in upgradin for the sake of it (If it aint broke, why fix it ?) but it should be the same for any version above version 6.

First make sure you have the "Acid Loop Creation Tools" toolbar active.
VIEW - TOOLBARS, then click the checkbox.
Now load up your sample that you want to find the tempo for.

The sample must loop perfectly, so make sure the start and end are cut precisely and obviously should begin on the downbeat.
This is how I used to do it ( I use Ableton now).
I cut out an 8 beat ( 2 bar in 4/4 or 1 Bar in 8/4) loop from the track. I normally start somewhere well into the track as most tracks will wander in tempo slightly at the begining and at the end (especially vinyl rips).
You don't have to stick with 8 beats. To give Soundforge a better chance, the longer the loop the better but until you get the hang of it, stick with 8 beats and the sample must loop perfectly !!.

Now click on the "A" symbol on the acid toolbar. A window pops up.
If it isn't selected already, select loop.
In the "Number of beats" window, type 8 then press ok. The window dissapears. now click the 4/4 button next to the "A" on the acid toolbar.
Tempo for the loop is now shown in the "Tempo in beats per minute" window. Obviously round up or down to the nearest BPM.
ie. if it says 126.208 BPM then it is obviously 126 as no-one writes a tune to decimal places jocolor

Now you now the original Tempo of the track you can decide whichever timestretch software you wish to use to stretch it to a new BPM but Soundforge does have it's own which does the job ok. It's under

PROCESS - TIMESTRETCH,

Check out the presets in the "Mode" Window, but I used to always stick with
A01. Music 1 (minimum flange, may echo)
Feel free to play around as you may find another one that works better for a certain track.
Now, make sure that the "input format" is set to "Tempo (bpm)". type in the "Final Tempo" that you want and make sure the "Initial Tempo" is set correctly. you can preview it before you click "OK".

Without a shadow of a doubt the best Timestretchers algorithms around are contained in Cubase SX and Ableton so if Quality is an issue then you may want to try them out

You can grab a copy of Ableton here Wink

http://digitaleargasm.hightoxic.com/music-programs-f5/ableton-live-603-merry-xmas-air-t25.htm

For the sort of thing you are trying to do, Ableton will do it standing on it's head.

As a final note. Another thing I find it invaluable for is correcting wandering tracks.

A lot of MP3's nowadays seem to be ripped poorely and the tempo can wander up and down by as much as 3 bpm throughout the track. If you do the tic-toc thing DJ Dream suggested, then you really hear it. Ableton sorts this out very quickly with warp markers. Once the mp3 is rendered back out, it will sit perfectly with a metronome from start to finish. Can't recommend it enough.

Hope that gets you up and running. Basketball

Peace.

Last edited by on November 1st 2007, 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dj dream

Male Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2007-05-26

PostSubject: Re: I need some help please!!   November 1st 2007, 5:14 pm

to summarise:we all do it differently.find a way that suits you.its all good.get stuck in m8!
also have a little look at recycle,thats quite handy.then you can put your loops in reason.which is another story altogether.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/remadee2008
Rick Styles

Male Number of posts : 209
Club Residency : theradio.com/idanceradio.fm
Registration date : 2007-05-27

PostSubject: Re: I need some help please!!   November 2nd 2007, 12:31 am

Thanks Guys! Ill try both and use the easiest way!

Hey, i'm starting to send mixes to stations. If you know of anyone looking for mixshows, pass em on.

www.myspace.com/rickstylesthedj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need some help please!!   

Back to top Go down

I need some help please!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Private Club :: V.I.P. Room-
Jump to: