Share | 

DJ TOP TIPS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
djretro

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: DJ TOP TIPS   July 12th 2007, 8:19 am

As the "job" of being a d.j is becoming more & more popular I thought it would be a good idea for some of D.E members with some experience in the trade to offer some excellent valuable tips for all the up and coming guys and girls who are thinking of taking their bedroom skills into the big wide world. I'm sure I'm not alone who over the years have made mistakes and/or picked up some "tricks of the trade". Not just that as we are all always learning and that advice is the key to life.

So to get the ball rolling here are a few tips to get you through....

Try to have a shit before you start as cleaning the toilet seat of blood & puke often puts you off your next mix.

Always smile when you tell a customer to f*ck off as softens the blow.

Never play anything next.

If a customer gets on your tits by asking for a request wait until they just get to the toilet door before you play it.

Play all the managers requests. (he is the guy who pays you)

Play all the door staff's requests. (usefull when you want someone chucked down the stairs)

If you see any spare leads, jack plugs etc nick them.

Remember the customer is always a wanker.

A Sure Sm58 is a usefull weapon if not by using it to take the piss out a customer but by twatting them with it.

So I hope I have helped you along the way with a few tips I look forward to picking up some myself on this thread. If you only remember one thing let it be that when you are out there dj'ing in a club its more than likely you are gonna be on the highest hourly rate so f*ck em all.
Back to top Go down
dj dream

Male Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2007-05-26

PostSubject: Re: DJ TOP TIPS   July 13th 2007, 7:01 am

1,never stop updating your vinyl/cd/mp3 collection.you can never have enough tunes.

2,replace scratched or unplayable vinyls/cd`s as soon as poss.

3,if you cant mix,dont mix.

4,if you can mix,get the beats spot on before bringing the crossfader over.unless you use a laptop.

5,dont use a laptop.it makes you look like a novice.

6,look like a pro and use vinyl.or cd`s.

7,if you want to be a vinyl dj,buy a shitty pair of belt drives to practise on.you`ll either pack it in cos its too hard and save big cash,or youll get the knack.if you get "it" then using technics in a club/bar will be a piece of piss.

8,practise all the time,practice all the time.

9,always be nervous or slightly nervous before a gig.if you`re not,you shouldn`t be djing.

10,enjoy the job or move to somewhere you do.

11,never listen to any other dj`s advice.especially in a club.they hate you.and especially if you`re young and have a bit of talent.

12,do your own thing.break the mould.be different.you could go far.

13,play commercial bollox and play every request you get asked for.you may make some cash.

14,dont go from being a bedroom dj straight in to a club.you`ll probably shit yourself.dj`ing is like any other job.you must do your apprenticeship to be any good.go do a year or twos worth of dodgy mobile gigs.weddings and 21sts.youll learn far more.

15,dont be scared of the microphone.or if your a mixing dj,dont be scared of the crossfader.treat the mixer rougher than a ten dollar whore.

16,take every free drink,blowjob,promo,or job offer you`re presented with.

17,have the confidence to think you`re the best dj that ever existed,but dont have the arrogance.nobody likes a smart arse.

18,be a twat.the other dj`s will be to you.if another dj is following you on the decks after your set,play a tune he cant mix out of.one with a tempo change in at the end or play one that takes the roof off and he cant follow with his opener.makes you look the star and you`ll get the next gig.not him.

19,look after your ears.whenever possible,keep headphones and monitors down to the minimum useful level.

20,get a private pension scheme.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/remadee2008
GReaPer

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: DJ TOP TIPS   July 15th 2007, 10:59 am

LMFAO fuk me, you two really, if i could go back in time i wana be a dj Very Happy
Back to top Go down
djretro

PostSubject: Re: DJ TOP TIPS   July 15th 2007, 6:24 pm

Mr Dream whats this bollox about using a laptop makes you look like a novice. I'll mention that to Mr. Van Dyke next time I meet him. Ha Ha Ha

Like to see anyone play a dance anthems night and play 100 tracks/hour without using a laptop. Unless you are paying some gimp to load your cdj's hehe.

Craig my advice was tongue in cheek please tell me yours was too!

Serious advice then...

1. Get a good agent

2. Don't lie to the taxman

3. Stop working for 5/hour you sad tossers who are shit but still live with their parents so dont need the cash to pay a mortgage feed their kids etc. You know who you are. You do it to impress birds and your mates saying look at me I'm a dj woohoo. Venues have them cos all they see is profit margins. Does my fecking tits in when you have a great venue with a twat at the decks who shows no magic just does 4 bar mixing and takes no risks sounds like a wanker on the mic like he's working on the dogems but he's got the job cos he's cheap !!

4. Don't listen to me I'm just a grumpy old bastard !

5. Don't listen to Dj Dream either Ha Ha Ha
Back to top Go down
dj dream

Male Number of posts : 185

PostSubject: Re: DJ TOP TIPS   July 16th 2007, 9:29 am

course i was pulling your leg paul...still believe its true tho.100 tracks in an hour?id rather play 20 good ones.
and no you lot.dont listen to us.we should be on grumpy old men.the dj`s edition.how good a prog would that be?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/remadee2008
Darryl Von Rokk

Male Number of posts : 303
Club Residency : Digital Eargasm
Registration date : 2007-05-13

PostSubject: Re: DJ TOP TIPS   July 16th 2007, 7:33 pm

1. Don't play four 88 bpm songs in a row at midnight! Mad
Talk about putting the crowd to sleep! An owner of a local club that I've been trying to play at is the Saturday night D.J. (ugh!)...and he has no idea how to get a crowd going!

PostSubject: Re: DJ TOP TIPS   July 17th 2007, 4:27 am

skin2skin wrote:
1. Don't play four 88 bpm songs in a row at midnight! Mad
Talk about putting the crowd to sleep! An owner of a local club that I've been trying to play at is the Saturday night D.J. (ugh!)...and he has no idea how to get a crowd going!

Ahh don't get me started. 2 words that really wind me up.. "Music Policy" especially when this policy is set my some manager has know idea. I've recently played at a bar in Leeds ( no names but its opposite Rehab lol )who's policy was not to play more than 3 tracks of the same genre eg. 3 funky tunes, 3 r&b , 3 80's , 3 indie etc etc. What a bag of bollox. Just when you get people moving you have to change.

Another wind up is when managers dont like a particular tune even though it's massive and wont let you play it.

But back on the topic of top tips and this is a serious biggie folks...

If you play a night in a venue which is covered by other dj's for example you do a Sat night and some other geezer does Fri..

ARRIVE EARLY as there is a good chance the Fri jock would like Sat nights too and will do all sorts to make you look a twat. For example changing the leads round on the mixer, unpluggin leads, I've had some wanker take the fuse out of the mixer.

If this happends inform the management show them what has been done and impress them by fixing the problem and even more by carrying spares with you. If a venue has a mic/headphones still take your own.

With this you turn the tables and possibly get Fri nights. If not find out where he lives and get someone to beat the shit out of him. Even better on his way to his Fri gig so you can cover his night.

I really hope this thread is a help to all out young up & coming members.
Back to top Go down
djdeeds

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-05-30

PostSubject: Re: DJ TOP TIPS   July 17th 2007, 8:14 am

Hmmm...let me see...Having worked for the last fifteen years I think I can safely say, I've pretty much seen and encountered just about all there is to discover in the world of DJing.Very good points you bring up regarding experience. To all the starters, I know you're eager, and you have confidence in your mixing ability and so many of you will have been discouraged by family or friends,ie..."there's no future in it".."records don't put food on the table"..etc.As a teenager I took music very seriously, I knew the songs on the charts,I wasted lots of time reading trivia on new music and basically kept my finger in the pie as far as being informed.I'm not afraid to admit ( because if it helps someone it's worth it ), and so many people talk a great deal of shit.So here goes...I got my first job at 16,working in a kitchen of a popular hotel.I had been a 'bedroom dj' for ages,saving little bits of money over time to get a mixer and two decks.The pub held a very popular Kareoke night and one Friday,the dj didn't show up.Staff got more and more concerned as did the owner,who always kept an eye on things.My adrenelin buzzed as I had always had a low profile and said nothing about my interest in DJing.But I took the risk.When the owner raised his voice in the office and said "what the fuck..I don't even know how to get the shit plugged in!"I flew up the hall and said "gimme five minutes and I'll at least have music on".It was the crappiest of crap systems, and all the music was on tapes..."FUCKING TAPES" I stressed, I fumbled, I flipped a tape out of the kitchen I had just mixed at home to listen to at work,and the job became mine.Now there's nothing glossy or magic about this story, as I could write a book about the type of crowds and conditions I had to put up with,and at the time I thought I was WELL above putting up with any shit.But I learned so much from putting up with all of that shit that it kind of "hardened" me to some of the realities of DJ work.Some facts about the "work" and it is work, if it doesn't feel like work you're takin' it too easy.
FACTS:
Most mobile companies hire young kids because they can screw inexperienced guys.eg:Customer pays company $350 to $450, company offer to a young dj $80 bucks cash and the promise of a good night.Trust me I did it for years, but so long as you are aware of it, you can use that information to slowly climb to a better wad of cash later on.Please don't think Mobile jobs (however shit) are beneath you.Being able to hold your breath and play SHIT YOU HATE is a great asset.I made more money and "CASH" money on top of normal pay doing mobiles and crappy weddings...OOOUUUUURRRRGGGGHHHH FUCKING WEDDINGS (cringe) but it's so very true. And mobiles are where you get a whole heap of experiences in all types of circumstances. If I got a dollar for every time I've played Mickey,Timewarp,Oh what a night,YMCA and that fucking bird dance I'd be a millionaire!! Most of you will be heavilly into commercial or electro or tek dance and that's great,so am I...But you need to get informed with the classic songs,even if they STINK (and they do) because you will be able to confidently say "yeah I know that tune" and a milestone in your experience will be when you can walk away from a wedding or 40th birthday for some upper class snobs who think the only music ever made was by the Beatles and the Stones, you can have confidence you survived the experience and the next time it happens,no worries.Drag out the pre mixed cd.(remember these idiots don't know what mixing is, so relax) put on all the old skanky crap and remember..."you don't have to like it!" You will definately get some top jobs doing mobiles even if it's not all the time and it's a good way,especially when you're young, to make some cash money to upgrade your gear etc.Back when I started,there was no such thing as downloading off a computer,so guys like me will know all about putting in the hard yards music wise.
It's true other DJs will disrespect you, it's really sad,and I never fully understood it, but ego's are plentifull in this industry,please,please,please,don't lower yourself to become arrogant,it will SCREW you in the end.Also, when you have a good set that works and you find it easy to mix a particular bunch of songs,don't keep doing it if you have a regular gig.It's so easy to do when your tired,or bored, but there's nothing worse than patrons lip syncing the next song because they've heard the same set over and over and know what's coming up next.I can fully agree with the comment of TAKE RISKS. Some of my greatest mixes and best crowd reactions have come from cuing something thinking just maybe it might work,then discovering by accident that a real live "KICK ASS" mashup is taking place live,and just go for it.Trust me you will know when it happens.(please, by taking risks I don't mean be a dick!)
Oh I could go on for ages my friends, but I'll finish by making one other point that I have learned from...Some jobs you will be offered free drinks especially at some pub jobs, know your limit.I have done some great mixing and mic work after a few, but it just takes that one too many to fuck your night.Stay ok while working and you'll have an upper hand especially with a difficult crowd.Cheerio for now, maybe if anyone has some questions they can post here.I don't have all the answers, but by golly I have some ripper stories from my experiences in pubs and clubs.tongue
Back to top Go down
djretro

PostSubject: Re: DJ TOP TIPS   July 18th 2007, 7:34 am

More top tips from Mr Dj retro...( 21 years in the biz)

Buy a cheap but reliable car to use for work as you may find you have to park it in dark and dingy car parks or infront of kebab houses where people sit on your bonnet.

Buy a little car that does shit loads to the gallon and then try to get gigs that are quite far from where you live. This is because you can claim 40p/mile for the first 10k then 25p/mile after. So if you do a gig that pays lets say 150 and its a 200 mile trip you will only pay tax on 70 thats before any other deductions. You dont see the benifit of long distant gigs straight away cos u have to put in the fuel but when you come to do your books the benifit shows. Plus u dont have to keep all your fuel receipts just account for your millage.

Wow 2 serious tips this time.

Oh and before I forget just cos you can mix well in your bedroom its a different ball game when there are 2000 people infront of you so a good bit of practice is always record your mix in the though that you are gonna send it to an agency. That difference when u hit record is similar to when u are in public.

Wow again I must have took a serious pill this morning.
Back to top Go down
djdeeds

PostSubject: Re: DJ TOP TIPS   July 19th 2007, 8:21 am

Hey Retro!!, You just reminded me of something that happened to me a few years ago.Talking about using an old car for gigs...I once had a van I took gear round in, and one night for whatever reason I didn't lock the side sliding door.I DJ'd a massive event held yearly for Gay/DragQueens and I must say I got to play some shit hot music that night.But anyway,getting to the point.When I had thrown my cases into the passenger seat and chucked leads etc in I just wanted to get out of there in a hurry before they all spilled out.I took off, got a pack of chips at a drive thru on the way home and even had the tunes blaring to help keep me awake.Little did I know, that a very drunk and drug affected drag queen had staggered into my van and fallen asleep.How did I discover this?? well, when I stopped at a red light a hand flopped over my shoulder (I consequently SHIT myself!) and he mumbled "will twenty dollars cover the trip daaarl"! He thought I was a fucking TAXI. I quickly adopted the role of taxi driver and said, naa, don't worry about it, put it in your bag. I turned into the next cluster of fuel stations and said "here we are,no worries!" It got out, staggered to a gutter and threw up all over the place.All I could do on the way home was shake my head in absolute disbelief and repeat the words "fucking hell!" over and over again. When I told some of my buddies who were djs at the time, one of the guys confessed to having four blokes sit on the boot of his car after a football event, and he pretended not to notice and drove from the ground at high speed till they all fell off! Maybe we can start another thread on the forum just for these storis of things that happen to djs.I'd love to hear stuff from other guys that had things happen.tongue
Back to top Go down
djdeeds

PostSubject: Re: DJ TOP TIPS   July 19th 2007, 8:25 am

Oh I can be a fuckwit...I posted this story in the wrong spot...should be posted in "stories and stuff" sorry'bout that!!
Back to top Go down
doog

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-08-17

PostSubject: Re: DJ TOP TIPS   August 17th 2007, 5:32 am

I'd just like to add to those gems of wisdom; When starting out ,use as many differrent types of mixers and equipment you can. If your mate has a different mixer or decks, have a go. I started mixing with CD's and was worried the first ime I had a go on vinyl, thing is, if you can mix and understand the music it doesn't matter what media you use. The ability is in the ears and fingers, not the equipment!
Back to top Go down
BeePM
MixMaster
MixMaster

Male Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: DJ TOP TIPS   August 18th 2007, 7:15 am

Never be tempted to lift the earth wire on your amp because you have a ground loop hum, unless you know cpr of course, or unless you are trying to break the world record for launching a microphone.

If doing a birthday, never sleep with the birthday girl as the next morning it is very awkward asking her for your payment.

Never be tempted to wear those torch spectacles. Orbital got away with it, you will just look like a nerdy geek.

Never get involved with the analogue vs digital debate. Just tell em to fekk off and enjoy the music.

Never have a curry before a gig !! (although it does have oneadvantage of keeping people out of the booth bom )

PostSubject: Re: DJ TOP TIPS   August 20th 2007, 4:30 pm

doog wrote:
I'd just like to add to those gems of wisdom; When starting out ,use as many differrent types of mixers and equipment you can. If your mate has a different mixer or decks, have a go. I started mixing with CD's and was worried the first ime I had a go on vinyl, thing is, if you can mix and understand the music it doesn't matter what media you use. The ability is in the ears and fingers, not the equipment!

Well said getting a bit tired of "old skool" jocks slagging laptop dj's off. I was mixing on 3 sl1200's when I was 16 now I'm 38 and using a laptop. If the customer can't see you fubling around with bits of circular black plastic but can hear you looping 2 tracks while gate'ing a phased accapella over the top which is better?

Plus you can't chat to your mates on msn with a sl1200 haha

Last edited by on August 20th 2007, 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
djretro

PostSubject: Re: DJ TOP TIPS   August 20th 2007, 4:44 pm

Back to top tips...

Now folks I found this one out just last Sat night.

I was dj'in in a club which has 2 floors I was upstairs playing trance anthems (don't you just love em) where downsatirs was your typical shaz n tracy stuff. It had been a long night as I has played a bar 8-11 then when took off by another jock raced to another venue to do 12 - 4. Normally the owners like to shut upstairs first and move people down to then close and get everyone out. It was 3.15 when I made the big mistake...

DON'T ASK A GLASS COLLECTOR TO FIND SOMETHING OUT FOR YOU !!!!!!

I should have known better because he was a....

GLASS COLLECTOR !

Here is how it went...

Me.."Hey mate do us a favour go downstairs and find out what time they wanna shut up here"

G.C "What"

Me. Repeat above

G.C "err ok mate"

10 mins later I see the G.c funny enough collecting glasses

Me "Well?"

G.C "Well What"

Me "what time?"

G.C "oh shit I knew there was something"..runs downstairs

5 mins later

G.C "They said put another tune on and if that runs out put another one on"

Me "Thats what I've been doing since 12 its err my job"

G.C "err"

Me "So did you ask them what time to finish ?"

G.C "Oh is that what you said"

Me "Tell you what mate go and collect some glasses then when you've done that collect some more"

G.C "err ok mate"

I then stuck William Orbit on and asked them myself

So top tip there guys and girls...

Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
Cameronj

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2007-05-27

PostSubject: Re: DJ TOP TIPS   August 23rd 2007, 7:37 pm

keep the tips coming guys!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content